LGBTQ+ Group: True Accotink Colors
Visit us on Facebook
“But I see your true colors shining through
I see your true colors and that’s why I love you
so don’t be afraid to let them show, your true colors
true colors are beautiful like a rainbow”
~Cindi Lauper, “True Colors”
True Accotink Colors (TAC) is a group open to everyone who is interested in LGBTQ+ rights and advocacy.
We recognize the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and we support the inclusion of individuals who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, or have other marginalized sexualities or gender identities. No matter who you love, you are wanted and welcome here in all aspects of this religious community.
We are a Welcoming Congregation
First recognized as a certified Welcoming Congregation in 1995, we reaffirm our commitment annually with the Unitarian Universalist Association. With your continuing support, True Accotink Colors will keep working to maintain our welcoming status.
Ways TAC Supports Our Community
- Annually renewing the congregation’s welcoming congregation status
- Advocating for LGBTQ+ rights
- Respecting and normalizing the sharing of pronouns
- Leading multiple church services each year addressing LGBTQ+ topics, experiences, or days of observance
- Hosting seasonal/quarterly movie nights
- Organizing educational opportunities and discussions
- Hosting Pride Picnic every June
- Hosting Friendsgiving every November
- Partnering with other local groups for Transgender Day of Remembrance events
- Displaying our pride through creative art projects
- Joining with Racial Justice to discuss banned books, including LGBTQ+ fiction and nonfiction titles
- Sharing dates that are important to the LGBTQ+ community
- Supporting local non-profit LGBTQ+ organizations
- Posting welcoming signage inside and outside the church
- Sharing information about local LGBTQ+ issues, resources, and events with the congregation
- Supporting the church with auction offerings and donations throughout the year
- Holding space for and listening to needs of LGBTQ+ members of our congregation
Our Digital Rainbow Passport was developed for our Trans/endental Living study issue (2022-2023). However, we still keep it updated with new educational resources, presentations, and discussions.
You may also find AUUC’s LGBTQ+ Resources Bibliography useful if you’re looking for LGBTQ+ book recommendations.
Part of our mission is to support LGBTQ+-focused organizations. We proudly support the Transgender Education Association (TGEA). Since 1982, TGEA has been dedicated to educating, helping and supporting transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals, their significant others, families, friends, and allies.